Sunday, June 05, 2005

Chanifa?

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Or so they say. I have just recieved an update on the shidduch that was red to me and that she has agreed to fly in. I am elated (yes, I like that word). The hurdle I must overcome now is to act like a man and not scare her away. Believe it or not (and no, I won't make it on Ripley's) I have many issues that needs dealings. Meaning, that needs to be dealt with. And that's putting it mildly. Now, however, ergo that fact, the most important thing is to deal with the phone call. To put the question bluntly, how do I sound like a man over the phone, so that she will not cringe when she hears me speak? I have been informed that the phone call is a means of introduction to be furthered upon face to face contact. This is novel to me. I am apprehensive to the fact that I might be made into a fool. Foolishly, I might add. I need to know from the experts on females and a quick 101 class what makes a man a man so that females will fall heads over heels over me (and don't suggest perfume or any other remedys that involve time or money). I'm talking about comunication, here. What is flattering that will work any time and is fairly innocuous (AKA tzniusdik) to say to a innocent young girl who supposidly has not exchanged words with a member of the male species. (and probably thinks all men are romantic as the Stars of their favorite movie). Helpful tips to make this poor YB excel at this difficult task will be rewarded in the world to come.

3 Comments:

Blogger EN said...

Malka- *sniff* thank you.
shopaholic-I wish I didn't have to call, if it was up to me I would pantomime through marriage without saying a word to my wife. I think it is more romantic that way. But you know how society is- a bummer.
THiii-I'll let you know how it turned out if she accepts the phone call.
Survivor- I don't know what I would do without your support.Your truly a great (blogger) friend.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Well, in the yeshivish circles (where the internet is assur and all that), the shadchan takes care of the phone calls for you! They arrange the time between the two of you, get her address and all, and it's a completely blind date.
I also once had a phone call that lasted 2 minutes. At first I was taken aback, but then I realized, "hey he's saving material for the date..." But yeah, usually they ask me, "How was your day," which is like so dumb bec they don't know me or my schedule, but it makes sense, because then I say, "Well, it was a usual day in school, I had physics in the morning..." obviously not every detail, but a clear descrpition, and that either leads to more specific details, or she'll ask you how yours was. It'll be okay, don't worry too much--the more nervous you are, the more it will show. (sorry, but that's def true for me)
For dating tips, check out the post on my blog, entitled, "What Girls Want On Dates," doesn't get more obvious than that. It's in the August '04 folder.
Hatzlacha Rabbah!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh yeah, the address there is: www.rikkikat.blogspot.com

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home