Thursday, July 21, 2005

Follow the Leader?


There has been a blog that has tried to debunk the Zohar. Let me tell you I do not dabble in Kabbalah. If I need to fly somewhere, I take a plane. When I first started blogging, I discovered some blogs that seemed to be written by some really smart people who knew, what it seems to be, a hamon rav, a lot of Torah, and were quoting from all over Tanach and Shas. In the beginning I felt intimidated, that maybe, possibly, my belief system is not as strong as I thought it to be. Maybe there are some holes in the grillwork. Doubt began to enter my mind. Was I being fed nonsense? Was my "logic" wrong? I, by nature, am a person who is curious. I enjoy seeking the truth. I would walk miles to find some obscure book or sefer if I though it would be of interest. This is one reason I blog. To seek what other people think and know. When the realization hit me that others don't have the same value system and they do not think the same way I do, it becomes difficult to face the questions. I don't have all the answers, so maybe the person writing his opinion is right because he has some information that I don't. Why must I be in doubt? Why must I question a belief that has been ingrained in me since I was born? If I didn't read the question I never would have had it to begin with. The question arose when I decided to believe someone else based on knowledge that he fed to me. Why should I trust the source? Because he talks intelligently? So I don't know the answer, it doesn't mean what he is saying is true. The mesorah is based on trust. I trust what my rabbi says and he trusted his rabbi. Along the way someone must have made up an excuse to justify the Torah, right? If you could disprove one link in a chain the whole chain falls a part. Is that a logical statement or is that foolishness? I believe that is a foolish statement, because disproving one part of a statement can't debunk an entire religion. So I don't understand how the world is only 5765 years old if the stars tell me the world is billions of years. There is an answer out there, I might not know it but it can't disprove the Torah. The Torah is a fact. It exists and has existed for thousands of years. I have questions, but I don't need answers. If I do need an answer I will think of an answer to prove what I know is true, that the Torah is true, that the mesorah is true, not take the easy way out and say the Torah is false. Anyone can say something is not true. It is harder to prove something is true than to debunk something and make a mockery of something. Making blanket statements based on questions , no matter how many you have, will never lead to the truth. The truth is built into creation. It needs to be uncovered. It is not obvious. Sheker, untruth, is the filth that needs to be wiped away. Beauty comes from work, which is answering questions. Questions are filthy. The are a necessary tool to learn, but by themselves they are purposeless. They can not prove or disprove anything. I can ask you a question of, "Why didn't the alien eat pig?" And your conclusion might be because he is a vegetarian. But if I tell you afterward he eats cows, your theory is debunked. Or maybe you might say he really doesn't eat cows only on certain days. So really he is a vegetarian 364 days of the year. It is your choice to look at the glass half full or half empty. Even if we are all looking to prove the same point that the Torah is real, why couldn't it be written in a way that doesn't besmirch and put down the Torah. Instead of saying a blanket statement the Zohar is a sham, it is not real, why not word it and say, I humbly have questions on the Zohar. I do not understand certain parts and leave it at that. Humility is a sign of truth. Haughtiness and putting down something is a indication that there is a lack of self esteem and self belief in authority. It shows you are afraid to confront the truth and you choose to hide behind questions instead of seeking the true answers. It is easy to say something is not real, the same way it is easy to disregard a shidduch because the person is not attractive enough. To look deep with the right microscope and come to the right conclusion is not easy. What is easy to do, is to insult and belittle a great thing. The greater something is, the more people try to pull it down. More people make a mockery of it because they are afraid of the reality it imposes on their freedom.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

""It is easy to say something is not real, the same way it is easy to disregard a shidduch because the person is not attractive enough. To look deep with the right microscope and come to the right conclusion is not easy. What is easy to do, is to insult and belittle a great thing. The greater something is, the more people try to pull it down. More people make a mockery of it because they are afraid of the reality it imposes on their freedom."

I agree. I also think that many people choose to not know and choose to insult it b/c to know would mean to feel obligated and they don't want that.

when they look for answers and it doesn't come right away, they give up and think there is none. What they should do is keep looking because they are out there.

People asking questions is fine. Their purpose though should Not be to find fault but to find truth. If their search is for truth, they'll find it if they're determined.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't seem to find the thread in your blogs, this post was amazing! Thanks for shareing, and taking the time to write. Somtimes you seem so confused and othertimes you seem so self assured and confident in your choices and way of life...

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home