Thursday, August 11, 2005

Grrrrrrr

I am not usually one to bash any segment of Jews. I love Jews and I am proud to be called a Jew. However, while reading this article I came across a statement that infuriated me. I am personally not intimidated by any sect of Judaism, be it Ashkenazic,Chasiddish, Litvish, or Sephradic, since I have in my family geneology someone from every sect of Judaism. I think that is why it infuriates me the most to read that a school could call themselves "exclusive" for any sect of Jew. I personally hold the administation as Koffrim and not part of Klal Yisrael. Not that I can do anything about it, and not that my opinion matters much to these people, but deep down I know I am right and I have the self esteem to look at them with pity. They might be doing an important job in teaching Torah, but at the end they are worthless pieces of junk. I know that it is not too eloquent but my anger is preventing me from thinking lucidly.

Haaretz Article

"The answer for many of the schools has been to become even more selective. Dozens of prospective high school students, boys and girls, have been left stranded, without a school this year, and even gentile real estate agents have begun warning house-hunters that they'd better line up a school for their children before they buy in the community. And some of the prejudices that have haunted the Israeli Haredi world are finally hitting Lakewood - one prominent high school for girls which for years admitted students of Mizrahi (Middle Eastern) origin has now changed its policy and announced it will admit only Ashkenazim."

7 Comments:

Blogger Elisheva said...

YB - Someone sent me the article also. I found it interesting, but also a little anti-frum. Like why else would they be writing such an article.

I was shocked about what it said about this school, especially cause I couldn't imagine which school it could be. I asked around, but was told it is a lie.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised that a non-religious paper would distort something to poke fun at the religious. It could be a sefardi girl was rejected for totally different reasons, and they are making it like she was rejected for being sefardi.

It is true that there is a MAJOR problem with girls not getting into schools, but such an extreme would have been crazy, and i hope I can believe that it is a lie.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

Discrimination exists in all communities, for better or worse. There are always the people who run the show, and the people that are excluded. Unfortunately, the people that run things aren't the Gedolim. Just one of the many problems we have to fix in this world!

9:59 PM  
Blogger EN said...

Elisheva-I really hope you are right. I don't want to believe it.

Josh- First, I don't see how discrimination is for better. Second, the problem is the ones who have a say in the matter are the principals who are considered "Gedolim" and the treasurer. The problem is, either they aren't vocal enough, because they care for their honor,or, they give into the money because they are afraid to lose their job and do what crazy parents want.

10:26 PM  
Blogger who am i said...

been outa the box for a bit - just found your page, and a nice surprise - a link to mine. well, thanx. and best of H"P to ya!

11:02 PM  
Blogger SemGirl said...

That is such total bogus. two ppl emailed me the article. I didnteven waste time reading it. This is the same papers that always has Hareidi Characatures reminiscent of the Nazi era. Yet, neglects to tell you that Hiloni soceity has the largest abortion rate and teenage violence rate in their schools in the Western World, surpassing any modern European country.

12:30 AM  
Blogger EN said...

Semgirl-The fact Chiloni society has problems does not mitigate the fact that Charadim have issues that need to be delt with. Many Charadim are bigots underneath their so called "frum" attitudes.

12:35 AM  
Blogger smb said...

4:46pm

It's true that both the secular and religious have their issues.

Her point was that that paper keeps showing the negative side of religious people and doesn't say much about issue's in the secular world.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home