Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Would The Kotzker Blog?

The disciples of Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Kotsk once asked him why he did not write a book. He replied, " Let's suppose that I took the trouble to write a book. My opponents would not buy it, for they despise me. So, only my followers would purchase the book. Now, our people are poor, and work hard during the week, so they will only have time to read my book on the Sabbath. And when will they get to read it on the Sabbath? After they have prayed the Friday evening service, and enjoyed a festive meal with their families-only then will they have time to read. So, let's suppose one of my followersstreches out on his sofa, takes the book and opens it. He is tired from the weeks work and drowsy from the meal, and he quickly falls asleep, the book slipping from his hand to the floor. Now, tell me, shall I go to the trouble of writing a book just to put my followers to sleep?"

"It was only when I wrote my first book that the world I wanted to live in opened to me."

Anais Nin

A hypothetical question I have is, would the Kotzker blog to day knowing that people have internet access 24/7?

4 Comments:

Blogger baalbatish said...

After the R'S.R.Hirsch blog opened,I was hoping the Kotzker would start a blog.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kotzker would blog and then delete all the messages before anyone could read them. :-)

Moshe Kranc
www.hasidicmanagement.com

6:33 AM  
Blogger EN said...

Baalbatish-I wish so too, I would start one but I don't too many stories, although I have seen a sefer in Hebrew with many sayings by the Kotzker.

Moshe kranc-I agree with you on that! I am just not on that Madregah and I need the attention. ;-)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Yoseph Leib said...

if he did blog today, it might have been easier to feel like the people who would hear him would be able to find him

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home