Saturday, November 26, 2005

Feminism

It seems like everyone is talking about feminism and the role of women in Orthodoxy. I guess it is time to give my take on it. But before I begin, I want to link an article I read about the issue. Ten Curses.
Ok, now for my perspective. As a Yeshiva Bachur and a card carrying member of the Jewish people, I find it hard to understand why some females will have an entire issue with feeling that they are being discriminated by "Orthodoxy." If I were to draw a comparison I would say that I, as an Orthodox Jew, feel discriminated by the Reform or Conservative movement, or even the Chilonim in Israel. They snub their nose at anyone remotely more religious than them and say thankfully to themselves how fortunate they are that they are not Orthodox. I have constantly seen comments by women bloggers and journalists how "Superior" they are over men. I have yet failed to see a woman who does NOT deem herself to be superior over men. Women are egotistical. It is a known biological fact. However, I bear them no grudge. Let them believe they are special. It is an undeniable fact that some people are smarter, prettier, and/or richer than others. It is undeniable that I will never ever become a president and neither with any of my decendants. Do I feel descriminated by the facts of life? NO. Will I ever be a black person? NO. Do I feel bad that I can't apply for affirmative action? NO. And the reason being is because that is a fact of life. Can a person strive to be all they can be in whatever social caste they happen to be in? YES. And they should. However, to make a religion a butt of controversy and personal interpritation while distorting the facts is being unjust to being truthful. Woman have an important and unreplaceable spot in our religion. They are the pillar of a Jewish home. To change your special and select job in a team and to go off on your own agenda hurts it for the entire team. Become a feminist, see if I care, I pity the poor fools.

5 Comments:

Blogger smb said...

As a Jewish woman, I feel that we women should apreciate our own role. We should look at what We have and see that we are great in our own way.

4:06 PM  
Blogger smb said...

I understand what you are saying. And I agree that we shouldn't be pressured to be perfect.

What I was referring to was more about the mitzvos. Some women look at what men have to do instead of looking at their own obligations. And I feel that we should appreciate our own role

8:59 PM  
Blogger defen said...

"I have yet failed to see a woman who does NOT deem herself to be superior over men."

Here's one.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Chana said...

Wait, wait, wait- you have yet to see a woman who does not believe herself to be superior to men? What am I, then- the egotist of all time? How cruel, dear sir! *laughs* ;)

Anywho- feminism in Judaism is a tricky subject which I cannot adequately respond to in a comment. But I will go ponder this...

12:00 AM  
Blogger Avigayil said...

The superiority attitude is a pendulum swinging. It had swung too far to one side, saying women were inferior. So now in a effort to settle on the central truth, it swings too far to the other side. Think Rambam.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home