Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Mute

In English class the Professor asked, "Why do teenage Orthodox girls rebel?" He explained that he sees many Orthodox girls in his class carry a grudge aginst Judaism. He asked if it is because we supress the outside culture too much and that causes them to seek outside influences and role models. What could the community do to keep them from experimenting and seeking ways that are contrary to the mores of the community? What if it were my daughter who was disobeying and testing the limits of Judaisim, what measures would I take?

I was stumped.

2 Comments:

Blogger SemGirl said...

I would comment on this , but I couldnt really do the subject justice. Maybe I will do a post about it on my blog..

Also, you deleted my comment on your last post.. Whats up with that ?

12:45 PM  
Blogger Gila said...

It could be that the professor is meeting a certain subset of girls (namely, those who go to a non-frum college). For their part, it is entirely possible that these girls are quite happy with themselves, but for whatever reason Judaism has come to represent something coercive, restricting or otherwise negative. Remember, women have an entirely different experience within Judaism than do men, and in particular within Orthodox Judaism. You may not understand, but then, why should you?

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home